Monday, September 24, 2007

Cruising through the last two weeks.....

As I strongly suspected, I finally got myself and my classroom together. The kids are settling in, and the new IA is a lovely young woman with good instincts and a kind heart. My to-do list is usually not too long, and I am finding the time I need to do what needs to be done.

With only 4 kids so far (the fifth one never showed), we are teaching up a storm and the kids are eating it up. What a joy to plan for and teach kids who enjoy books and math and games and singing....

It's the sharing and the writing and the taking turns that freaks them out. It's keeping an even keel when every fiber of their being wants to scream and stomp and curse and lash out.

That's happening too, the lashing out, but we are managing with some grace and dignity.

So far, so good.

1 comment:

lookingup said...

Good evening! I stumbled across your blog as I was cruising the net for some other teachers of students with emotional disabilities. I just wanted to say that I highly respect your approach to this blog and how you are respecting your students by keeping their identities confidential. I have met a lot of teachers who do not approach teaching this way! Thanks for your example--I hope I can continue to be inspired by your experiences.